Fort Monmouth Beginnings
In 2005, the Pentagon and the office of Base Realignment and Closure announced the decision to close the fort. Over the next six years, Fort Monmouth went through the process of closing the fort. The final closing ceremony was held on September 15, 2011.Learn More
Currently, the Fort Monmouth Economic Revitalization Authority (FMERA) is entirely behind Fort Monmouth’s redevelopment. Specifically, FMERA is intended to guide the investment, growth, and integration of Fort Monmouth and the surrounding communities. They have been in charge of property sales and fort redevelopment since 2011, when the U.S. Army transferred them the first half of the Fort Monmouth property.
Almost a decade later, you can drive through the fort and still see little to no redevelopment/rehabilitation has happened since. A majority of the fort’s buildings and properties remain completely abandoned. Sadly, decay is setting in as many years go by without proper maintenance for such a beloved local landmark.
The “ftmonmouth” campaign aspires to bring more public attention to this historic fort in hopes we can get FMERA to resume property sales and continue revitalization, preservation and restoration of this beautiful piece of our history.
Fort Monmouth, built on the original site of the Monmouth Racetrack, was originally named Camp Little Silver. It’s moniker changed to Camp Vail in 1917. It wasn’t until 1925, when Camp Vail officially became known as Fort Monmouth, after it’s installation became permanent. The name was selected to honor the fallen soldiers of the Battle of Monmouth during the Revolutionary War. The battle took place just miles from the new Fort Monmouth on the grounds of the Monmouth Court House in what is now Freehold Township.
Throughout the decades that the base was functional, many significant scientific discoveries were achieved including; the first radio-equipped meteorological balloon reached the upper atmosphere, RADAR was developed on post -- a model of which detected the 1947 Pearl Harbor attacks, and the celestial communication theory was proved via radar transmissions during Project Diana marking what is widely recognized as the beginning of the “Space Age.”
During World War II, Fort Monmouth’s role was accentuated and its property was expanded to include Camp Coles near Red Bank, Camp Charles Wood in Tinton Falls and Camp Evans in Wall Township. At the time, the fort could comfortably accommodate over 20,000 personnel.
Fort Monmouth Today
Fort Monmouth closed permanently on September 15, 2011. Since then, the redevelopment of the iconic Fort Monmouth was taken over by the Fort Monmouth Economic Revitalization Authority (FMERA).
In the almost decade that FMERA has had control of the redevelopment project, very few of the proposed plans have been completed. Many of the historic property parcels sit deteriorating while revitalization plans continue to stall.
View the Buildings section of the website for a detailed description of the Fort Monmouth properties.